A cheesy, luxurious twice-baked potato with steamed cauliflower. The perfect vegetarian side dish.
Twice baked potatoes with cauliflower – serves 3 – 6
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 head cauliflower (stems removed and loosely chopped. 1/4 head yields 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 3 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each sea salt & pepper
- 3 Tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C).
- Wash and scrub your potatoes. Then dry and lightly coat with oil. Place directly on the top or middle rack and bake for 1 hour, 15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and have a bit of “give” to them when lightly squeezed.
- Remove from oven and let cool until they’re comfortable to handle.
- In the meantime, steam your cauliflower over a double boiler (or in the microwave) for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- When your potatoes are cooled, cut them in half and gently scoop out the insides with a spoon, leaving about a 1/4 inch rim. Add the potato and steamed cauliflower to a large mixing bowl, along with the butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sour cream and combine with either a potato masher or hand-held mixer. Be careful not to overmix or the potatoes can become sticky. Add a splash of milk if it appears too thick.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Scoop the filling back into your potatoes and place in a baking dish. Top with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese (optional) and bake for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are warmed through.
- Serve immediately, topping with chives or green onion (optional). Alternatively, cover and store in the fridge for up to a few days.