Zucchini and Ham Parmesan Quick and Easy to Prepare
Zucchini and ham Parmesan is an adaptation of the more commonly known Eggplant Parmesan. However, this dish is much easier to put together and prepare because we are not going to precook those zucchini.
We have added cooked ham to our dish but you can omit it and you can also use green zucchini or yellow squash, or even a mix of the both. Ultimately this dish has a few simple ingredients to immediately obtain a light and very tasty lunch.
You can adapt this dish to your own personal taste by using any sort of cheese you prefer. We have made this with gorgonzola and slices of pear mixed with the zucchini – wonderful. The main takeaway here is the technique.
You can store your zucchini parmesan in the fridge and 10 minutes prior to serving, put it in the oven at 150C/300F adding extra mozzarella if you like.
You will need a 30x20cm baking dish (smaller if you want the zucchini parmesan to be higher).
Ingredients – serves 4
- 750 grams zucchini
- 250 grams provolone, sliced
- 100 grams grated parmesan
- 250 grams fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 150 grams cooked ham
- 10 – 12 leaves of fresh basil
- extra virgin olive oil
- white pepper (you should not need salt because that will come from the ham and the cheese)
- Drain the mozzarella so as not to add more moisture during cooking.
- Using a mandolin or potato peeler, cut the zucchini into thin strips.
- Wipe the baking dish with a little olive oil and begin layering in strips of zucchini to cover the bottom. Then add the provolone, mozzarella, parmesan, cooked ham, basil and a pinch of pepper. Keep doing this for as many layers as you can. The final layer should be cheese, basil and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven at 180C/355F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.