How to make a spanakopita – Greek spinach pie
Spanakopita is a Greek spinach pie that is made from phyllo dough, feta cheese, and spinach. It’s a savory pastry that works for a main or an appetizer.
Thaw phyllo dough completely by placing it in your refrigerator the night before*Place a damp kitchen towel over the phyllo dough sheets when not in use to prevent it from drying out and breaking
Spanakopita – serves 6 – 12
- 1 kg of adult spinach or frozen whole spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 red onion or leek, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 300 g of crumbled feta
- 25 g of dill, chopped
- 20 g of mint, the leaves removed and chopped
- 3 sprigs of oregano, chopped
- 50 g bulgur wheat (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Zest of 1 untreated lemon
- 250 g of filo pastry
- Oil, for brushing
- Trim the spinach and wash them well, then chop them coarsely. Place in a colander with a good sprinkling of salt and massage until wilted (omit this step if using frozen).
- Fry the red onion or leek in the oil until soft, then turn off the heat and add the spring onion. Pour into a large bowl with the feta, herbs and bulgur, if using.
- Squeeze the spinach in handfuls until no more liquid comes out (it should seem well wilted), incorporate them into the cheese mixture, then add the egg, zest, a drizzle of oil and a good grating of nutmeg and mix again (I find the hands the best tool for this). Season lightly, remembering that the feta is quite salty.
- Line a pan with half of the wire: brush each sheet with oil and overlap.
- Heat the oven to 200 ° C / 390 ° F / gas 6.
- Brush a 30cm x 25cm pan with olive oil, then line with half the floss, brushing each pan with oil as you go (here it is a spray, if you have one) and being careful not to squeeze them in the process. Leave the excess overhanging on the sides.
- Pour the filling, level the surface, then put the lid on: repeat the layering operation with the remaining dough. Fold the edge inward to create an edible edge, drizzle with more oil and cut into desired portions.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)