Baked French toast with blueberries and mascarpone: Sometimes we come across a recipe, the image of which is so tantalizing and delicious, we simply have to stuff it away in our collection under the heading ‘Oh my, I’ll take a second helping of that!” Baked French toast with blueberries and mascarpone, will, we are sure, have you reaching for the baking trays.
We came across this recipe in an addition of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, issue December, 2018. We keep all of our potential recipe ideas tucked away until we have time to take them from simple imaginings to reality.
This particular recipe for baked French toast with blueberries and mascarpone, calls for 8 oz French baguettes. For those of you used to our 24 oz French baguette, please feel free to use them instead. We believe that the richness of our bread will enhance what is already, a wonderful breakfast recipe.
Mascarpone can be very expensive. Here is a link to the Gourmet Sleuth, who offers a few ideas for substitution.
How to make baked French toast with blueberries and mascarpone
Serves up to 12
- 3 8 ounces French baguettes
- 8 ounces mascarpone or cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Grease a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cut each baguette into 1-inch slices, cutting to but not through bottom of loaf.
- For filling: In a medium bowl beat mascarpone and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar until combined. Fold in blueberries. Spoon filling between baguette slices; arrange baguettes side by side in prepared dish.In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, remaining vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Pour over bread.
- Cover; chill overnight.Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover dish. In a small bowl stir together remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until egg mixture is set, covering with foil the last 15 minutes if necessary to prevent over browning. Remove; let cool slightly.