Gluten free chamomile muffins with honey and lemon: We want to show how different ingredients can be used when making muffins. I was desperately trying to think of a new muffin for some new guests and one morning while hunting for the kitchen, I came across some flavored teas.
There is a wide variety of tea available out there and I highly recommend that you try them all! Voila! The chamomile, honey and lemon gluten free muffin was invented and here’s how I did it:
Gluten free chamomile muffins with honey and lemon – Makes 7-8 large muffin
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of potato starch
- 60 grams (2 ounces) of tapioca flour
- 80 grams (3 ounces) of rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 grams (3 teaspoons) of baking powder
- 2 g (1/2 teaspoon) of xanthan gum
- 134 gr (5 ounces) sugar
Using a measuring jug, add the ingredients in this order. In my experience eggs are not always the same size and may slightly change the final version so I want you to arrive at 300 mls (1 1/4 cups) of wet ingredients so that the final preparation is always the same.
- 2 medium eggs
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) vegetable oil
- 100 ml (0.4 cup) of yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tea bag of chamomile, chamomile opened to remove the
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 185C / 370F.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl with the lemon zest and chamomile.
- In a measuring jug, gently mix all the wet ingredients with the lemon juice and honey with a fork for 30 seconds.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir gently down for 1-2 minutes. If you mix the batter too much, you will notice that it will have the consistency of glue. If this happens your muffins will also have the consistency of glue. Therefore, carefully fold the batter to combine. Do not worry if the mixture is not homogeneous.
- Add a little ‘milk or flour if necessary. An extra 2 tablespoon of flour or milk will make no difference to the results.
- Fill the muffin cups two-thirds of the container.
- Place the pan in the center of the oven for 17-18 minutes. To check the cooking time, slide a toothpick into one of the muffins and if it comes out dry, the muffins are ready.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before serving.