The secret to making this delicious recipe for sour cream and apple pie, is to have some Pillsbury pie crusts tucked away in the freezer. Many a time have we been in need of a dessert idea and sprinkling the kitchen with a few essential ingredients takes all that added stress away!
Ingredients for apple and sour cream pie – serves 6 – 8
Crust 1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
- 1/4 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 6 cups 1/4-inch slices peeled baking apples
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons cold butter or margarine
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Unroll pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Filled Pie.
- In large bowl, beat sour cream, granulated sugar, flour, salt, vanilla and egg with wire whisk until well blended; stir in apples.
- Pour into crust-lined pie plate.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F; bake 30 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix all topping ingredients except butter.
- With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Sprinkle topping over pie. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool completely on cooling rack, about 2 hours.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining pie.