PiHow to pickle beets: If you need a reason to wander around your local farmer’s market, an opportunity to meet unusual fruits and vegetables is one. After all, it’s not everywhere you can find golden beetroot – or ‘beets’ as they call them around here.
The first time we ever saw a golden beet I immediately needed to know what the difference was compared to the deep purple variety. So, it was off to The Big Dream Factory Kitchen to find out.
We hear many people say that beetroot is really difficult to cook, that it takes too long and ultimately they give up on the whole idea. NEWS FLASH!! All you need is a roasting pan, foil and 30 minutes with the oven on. No stirring, no draining, no watching, no danger of burning. That’s it! Once the beetroot is roasted you simply peel it and in this case, marinate it in a light vinegar for a day.
Come with us through the easy recipe for pickling beets – just 4 ingredients.
How to pickle beets: Ingredients for about 4 cups
- 2 lb (1 kg) golden beets, top and tailed
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar or honey
- Pre-heat the oven to 365.
- Place the beets into a roasting pan with 1/4 cup water. Cover tightly with foil and place in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan add the vinegar, water and sugar. Warm the water and stir just until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- When they are tender, remove the beets when they are cool enough to handle, remove the skins. This is easily done with the back of a knife.
- Slice the beets thinly then add them to the vinegar/sugar solution, cover and refrigerate overnight.
And the difference between these golden beets and the everyday rich purple variety. The golden beets are a little more sticky which means they are a little more sweet. Yummmm!