Lasagna is a great Sunday classic in Italy and our lasagna with pesto will bring the aroma of Liguria into your home.
The addition of potato, pine nuts and green beans gives the lasagna a more stable and robust texture.
The great thing about a lasagna with pesto is that you can cook it all the day before so when you are ready to serve it simply requires about half an hour in the oven to warm it through. Make sure to cover it with foil before you do.
Lasagna with Pesto – serves 6
- 9 oz (250 g) of fresh egg lasagna sheets (alternatively you can use dried, easy-cook lasagna sheets)
- 2 1 pint jars Pasta Nostra creamy herb and white wine sauce
- 1 6 oz jar Pasta Nostra Pesto alla Genovese
- 3 medium potatoes, pre-cooked (you could use mashed potato)
- 6 oz (200 g) of green beans, pre-cooked
- 2 1/2 oz (70 g) of grated Parmesan
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 1/2 oz (40 g) of toasted pine nuts
- Start preparing the lasagna with pesto, by dipping the sheets of fresh lasagna in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Drain them one at a time and place them on a clean cloth.
- Pre-heat the oven at 395F/200C.
- Butter a baking dish on all sides.
- Spread a layer of cream sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Place a layer of egg pasta in the pan over the cream sauce. Cover with a layer of pesto and a handful of pine nuts.
- Place a layer of egg pasta in the pan. Cover with a layer of pesto and a handful of pine nuts. Continue with coarsely crumbled potatoes, along with some green beans. ‘Top this with a generous handful of Parmesan and a layer of cream sauce.
- Start with a new layer of pasta, then pesto, pine nuts, potatoes, green beans, Parmesan and cream sauce. Up to fill the pan.
- The top should be finished with the final sheet of pasta covered with pesto, cream sauce, pine nuts and Parmesan.
- Cover the pan with aluminium foil and cook in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes, Remove the foil after 30 minutes and continue to cook until a golden crust is formed on the surface of the lasagna.
- Remove from the oven and allow the lasagne with pesto to sit for 10 – 15 minutes before serving.