Mediterranean pasta salad: Many times when you see a recipe title with the word ‘Mediterranean’ in it, they can actually be a little lack-luster. Not so with this recipe from Perfect Circle Kitchen.com. If the colour doesn’t catch you attention then nothing will!
With a beautiful balance of vegetables eaten around areas of the Mediterranean tucked away in this salad, there is something for everyone. We particularly love the use of gemelli pasta in this dish which is designed to hold all those flavours perfectly.
This salad will serve between 8 and 12 people and is perfect for your next picnic or family gathering. Many thanks to Perfect Circle Kitchen for their Mediterranean Pasta Salad:
Mediterranean pasta salad: serves 4
- 1 lb (500 grams) gemelli, or other small-to-medium pasta
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered (about 8.5 ounces drained)
- 1 can black olives, drained and sliced (6 ounces drained)
- 2 packed cups fresh spinach
- Vegan Option: 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Vegetarian Option: 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into small chunks
- Meat Option: 8 ounces diced salami
- Olive oil (about 4 tablespoons; less if using sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional lemon wedge
- For roasted tomatoes, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss tomatoes in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to coat. Pour onto cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Boil water for pasta, cooking while the rest of the ingredients are prepared.
- Press or finely chop garlic. Mince onion and combine in a bowl.
- Drain and add artichoke hearts and olives.
- Pack spinach tightly into 2 cups to measure. Chop into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Add tomatoes when they have finished roasting.
- Add choice of garbanzo beans, mozzarella, or salami.
- Toss in cooked and drained pasta and stir well to distribute.
- If needed, add a little more olive oil to lightly coat the pasta (or use oil from the jar of sundried tomatoes).
- Drizzle with 1-2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with fresh black pepper.
- Can be served with a squeeze of a fresh lemon wedge. Try with a few chopped fresh basil leaves, too!