A quick Pesto alla Genovese
Quick Pesto alla Genovese: When Maria delivers you a pile of fresh basil from her garden here on Ponza and tells you to make pesto, that’s what you do! You make a quick pesto alla Genovese!
This recipe is for the traditional Pesto alla Genovese, the most famous pesto in Italy. Although, traditionally it is made using a pestle and mortar which gives more colour and flavour to the result. However, you could pass all the ingredients through a food processor and still achieve a very good pesto. So that’s what we did.
Quick pesto alla Genovese
- 2 medium cloves garlic,
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt,
- Just under 1/2 cup (100 ml) extra virgin olive oil,
- 2 ounces (50 grams) basil leaves, washed and dried,
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts,
- toasted and 2 ounces (60 grams) Pecorino, grated.
- Throw it all in a processor and pulse until lightly gritty.
- Serve generously over Trofile.
This pretty jar is a gift from Gabrielle … received with much appreciation and many thanks.