Italian meringue: We are here to encourage you to whip up some meringue with our foolproof recipe.
There are some recipes that just put you off trying them because you hear too many stories of other peoples bad experiences trying. This is a great shame because then you avoid attempting these so-called ‘tricky’ recipes. Once you have mastered the art of making Italian meringue, you can go on to make wonderful ‘Pavlova’ filled with fruits and creams and …. well, whatever your heart desires!
Ingredients: Makes 12 small meringues
- 100 grams (3 1/2 oz) egg whites
- 225 grams (8 oz) fine white sugar
- Put the egg whites and sugar in a large, clean, heatproof bowl.
- Sit the bowl over a pan of very gently simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
- Stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved and the egg white is warm to the touch – about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat then using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites until the mix is cold, glossy and stands in stiff, shiny peaks – about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Cover a large baking sheet with baking parchment or a silicone mat.
- Pipe or spoon the meringue into your desired shape onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes then turn off the oven and leave the meringue in the oven overnight.
- Meringue will keep for up to a month in an airtight container or three months in the freezer.
- Separate each egg into a bowl before transferring to the mixing bowl to avoid any broke yolk getting into the meringue mix.
- Don’t be afraid to add colour, flavour and even nuts to your meringue mix once it is whipped.