Sukumi wiki – beef and collard greens
Sukumi wiki – beef and collard greens: If you enjoy your greens, you are going to love this Kenyan dish called Sukumi Wiki which translates from Swahili as ‘to push the week‘. It is so-called because it is one of those dishes that helps a limited food supply last through the whole week. We can all do with an economical recipe and one that will have your family looking forward to eating the healthy ‘green stuff’ we commonly know to be vegetables.
We heard recently that to get your kids to eat their greens, you should tell them that they are made by McDonald’s.
Ingredients for sukumi wiki (beef and collard greens) – serves 6
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 bunch (8 leaves) collard greens, stems removed sliced into 1-inch srips
- 15 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeño and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the ground beef and seasonings and cook browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the collard greens and tomatoes and saute until wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Stir everything gently as it cooks, careful not to mush the tomatoes.
- Add the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.